Who Wants Brush Brush?

Monday, November 05, 2007

Baking Lessons

S, a good friend from work, and I started on our baking lessons today. Having joked about digging out the home economics aprons from our secondary school days and donning high chef hats to impress our classmates, we were disappointed to realise that there will not be any hands-on sessions for this course. Disregarding the impossibility of getting your money's worth while paying pittance for anything on this island and the need to complain about the increased prices in flour (highly relevant to us for the weeks to come), it was a pleasure to find ourselves in the company of an entertaining and competent teacher, and - surprise surprise - friendly classmates who say hellos warmly and let you copy notes you missed out on.

Baking, we've realised, is an expensive hobby/skill. The ingredients do not come cheap and my, what numerous tools you need - the bread knife, the spreader, the turn table, the oven (Baby Belling! Baby Belling!), the mixer (KitchenAid! KitchenAid!) etc etc. Talk about poor timing and a poorer pocket. I have them both!

Well... maybe we do not need the turn table and the mixer just as yet, but - get ready for this - S does not own an oven and neither do I. Joe and I did not have an oven built-in at the new place, for we prefer to keep the kitchen bright and uncluttered (reason no. 1). While we have bought a simple microwave for his instant noodles, I had refused to get a microwave-cum-convection oven which I biasedly feel that is simply not pro enough (reason no. 2). I have also been unsuccesful in convincing him that I am genuinely interested in becoming the Nigella Lawson of his household and to achieve that aim, I would need a proper oven NOW (uhm, real reason).

Anyhow, life always has its backup plans, mostly in the form of a mother with great foresight and invaluable experience. Turns out that the chinese frying wok that mommy dearest bought comes with a roasting cover that allows temperature settings and timer - perfect for my impending baking experiments. A wok that bakes! Wondrous combination if you'd ask me. I have strong faith that the adaptation is going to work out just fine. Let's hope that we don't have to wait too long to find out if it actually does.

6 Comments:

  • So when is my chocolate cake coming???

    And i seriously dun mean those baked from the WC....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 PM, November 07, 2007  

  • Teacher haven't teach leh.

    You sure you wanna try? I think of the people I know, you have the least faith in my culinary skills. :P

    But if you must so insist, buy me a KitchenAid mixer first. I don't mind a grey one and Robinsons is having a discount for whites and greys @ only $759 lah.

    By Blogger Mini-Meow, at 11:34 AM, November 08, 2007  

  • How about a dog-powered mixer since Patch loves to go round and round in circles? Best of all, it is eco-friendly!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM, November 09, 2007  

  • You know my weakness! I can't resist anything labelled earth-friendly / ozone-safe/ made from 100% recycled materials.

    Haahaa. Patch the eco-friendly mixer.

    By Blogger Mini-Meow, at 3:15 PM, November 27, 2007  

  • mini-meow... im waiting to see pics of ur new nest until neck long liao..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM, November 29, 2007  

  • There's not much at the house at the moment. The plastic hasn't even come off the sofa yet.

    Patience, patience.

    By Blogger Mini-Meow, at 9:45 PM, November 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home