Who Wants Brush Brush?

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Mikan Goes To the Vet

The heavy downpour yesterday proved to be a blessing in disguise. Eventhough I waited some time for a cab (4 consecutive empty taxis slowed down, took a look at the carrier at my feet and sped away hurriedly), I did not have to wait long at the vet's. Many other patients did not show up so I was the one of the first to arrive for the evening consultation.

Mikan refused to come out of his carrier when it was his turn. But I'm feeling fine, mom. I finished all my dinner and drank water before this, remember? And after that I even went to the toilet five times. Opps.

The doctor felt around Mikan's tummy and told me that he couldn't really feel his bladder so it must be quite empty. The previous time, his bladder walls were thick and hard with bad inflammation so it was easily palpable. This time, since the bladder was not full, it meant Mikan was still able to pass urine successfully so doctor ruled out the possibility of blocked urethra. As Mikan still played and ate normal, the doctor said that the infection must have just started. The only discomfort Mikan would have felt was the constant itch in his bladder.

The doctor also felt that the current diet and lifestyle are probably not the cause of Mikan's condition, since my 2 other boys eat the exact same food and lead the exact same sedentary lifestyle. He told me that some individuals are just predisposed towards having UTI but the actual cause may never be fully explained. Some cats can have blood in the urine even without crystals or infection in their bladder. He felt that the best thing to do for Mikan is to prescribe some anti-biotics to clear the infection and then observe him further at home. We thanked the doctor, collected Mikan's medicine and waited for his dad to pick us up.

While waiting outside the clinic, I set Mikan's carrier down on the steps and a tabby came over to say hello. The friendly young tabby put his nose on Mikan's carrier door and asked him what happened. Mikan sat dejectedly at the other end and replied that he was not allowed to talk to strangers and that he just wanted to go home and pretend that none of this was happening. Few minutes later, a nice lady who was feeding the strays passed by and saw Mikan. She peered into the carrier and asked me what was on his head. Turned out that the silly boy had decided to disguise himself by wearing the carrier cushion on his head.

At a red light halfway home, Mikan's dad complimented that our boy was well-behaved and reached into the carrier to pet him on the head. Mikan snuggled up against his dad's palm and started purring for the first time since the evening, relieved at knowing that we love him afterall.

3 Comments:

  • Get well soon Mikan!! Spencer said she knows exactly how you feel! Take your tablets, drink water, and don't hold your urine!

    By Blogger cat_aunty, at 9:40 PM, April 04, 2006  

  • Thank you Spencer! Mikan says he will and he sure is glad that he is not alone in this battle. Spencer drink more water too, ok? :D

    By Blogger Mini-Meow, at 8:17 AM, April 05, 2006  

  • Drink drink drink. And take your medication. You will get well soon.

    I have no problem hailing a cab when I carry a pet carrier or two. I've been lucky so far I think.

    By Blogger KXBC, at 9:31 AM, April 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home