Who Wants Brush Brush?

Friday, November 30, 2007

Lots of Catwork to be Done

Auntie L has been single-handedly managing the strays in our neighbourhood since I have started work. Having to wake up early for work meant no late nights, and trapping cats for sterilisation almost always meant late nights. Weekends are usually spent recuperating from the stress at work and occasionally visiting cats at the sanctuary, which leaves one little or no time to help manage the cat colonies here.

That, or I'm just lazy lah.

GC recently commented that he is amazed by how a friend of ours hasn't burned out like many other caregivers who just get depressed and give up. I know exactly what he meant for I am one of the 'other caregivers'.

I remember being a lot more active when I was in uni; sterilising cats in my neighbourhood, helping out at a cat-rescue house everyday, doing adoption drives during weekends, putting up "I'm adorable, please gimme a home" notices at petshops and vet clinics to look for potential adopters. Unfortunately, disappointments and frustration over over-zealous, under-prepared adopters accumulated to such an extent that I couldn't find the energy to continue doing rehoming. And because I'm no longer doing rehoming, it meant that any kittens that I find become a major headache.

Many nights I walk home with my eyes shut and my ears closed, worried that I would meet a kitten or an injured cat who needs help. As if behaving like an ostrich can stop unwanted kittens from being borned and cats from getting hurt.

Well, it's time to take my head out of the sand and start doing my part again, or at least I will do whatever I can during this break. For one, I want to get the handful of unneutered cats in my area done asap; I'll be collecting the cat trap from Dawn of CWS at the TRNM workshop tomorrow and Auntie L and I will try to trap the nervous female who has produced a litter a month plus ago. So far, we have yet to see her kittens, I wonder if they are still around. If they are, they would probably still be nursing. Will observe and discuss with Aunite L first.

Other than that, I also want to spend as much time as possible with the cats at the sanctuary. The poor darlings there are so just deprived of love and attention. The cats' dad always thought that one needs time to know and gain trust from a cat and was he surprised to find the cats there so friendly and eager for attention. The confident ones rush up to you, weave between your legs and climb on your back when you try to walk away. The shy ones just hang around at the back, never taking their eyes away from you, but wait and pine for the moment that you look in their direction.

Then there are the ones stricken by FIV or FeLV, withering away with each passing day. We always try to end our day at the sanctuary by holding and saying goodbyes to the sickly ones. We have been shocked many times by how quickly and suddenly some cats fade away so every minute spent with them is precious.

Sigh.

My pampered ones are still waiting for dinner to be served, I forgot I bought fish and chicken to steam for them. By some bizzare change of heart, they are starting to appreciate my cooking again. I'd better go serve it up before they turn their snobbish noses up at it.


身在福中不知福。

2 Comments:

  • I reckon those 6 furry ones really duno sky high ground thick.... Maybe we should start a 'exchange' program. If it works for school kids, it might just work for them. Who knows they'll come back sweeping floor and whipping up dinner for us???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 PM, December 06, 2007  

  • That day... will not come. :p

    Not the exchanging part, but the feeling appreciative and cooking for us part. :D

    By Blogger Mini-Meow, at 3:25 AM, December 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home