Who Wants Brush Brush?

Thursday, December 13, 2007

New Kitty Litter Spells Disaster

Their usual pine litter is out of stock in many shops and we've totally ran out of it at home. Given no choice, I bought the crystal type and prayed that they will take to it.

At first, they sat around to watch and sniff as I emptied a bag into their bin. Then Shishi took a brave step in and jumped out like it was hot water; it felt too funny. Becks walked around on the edge of the bin, dipping her paw in to feel but refusing to step in. The others just sat and watch. No amount of coaxing or encouragement worked so I turned in for the night, hoping for the best.

Checking the bin first thing the next morning, I was relieved to see that someone had taken a leak in the new litter. Feeling confident and after praising the kids for being smart and all, I left for a long day at the sanctuary.

I got back home, disaster awaited. Their uncle Philip told me that someone threw up on the floor. Nothing new really. But when I opened the bedroom door, the stench of uncovered do hit me. Definitely something beyond a couple of regurgitated hairballs.

Someone had emptied a full bladder and entire contents of his/her bowels onto the spare bed.

I cleaned up the mess as good as I could, but the mattress could not be saved. I dumped the mattress together with the soiled pillow. I was so shocked by the extent of the mess, I think I forgot to scold anyone.

The spare bed now lies empty except for two cushions that the kids use for kneading.

Lucky thing the mattress was a cheap one from the pasar malam.

***

The crystal type is so much easier to clean. There is no moisture at all to scoop out and the moisture in the poo bits are usually all absorbed by the crystals by the time I get home to clean. All I had to do is scoop out the dried bits which can be done in 3 minutes. Cleaning time is hence down by at least 80%. Moreover, the floor is kept cleaner for there is no more sawdust covering every surface possible caused by even the slightest of air movement, which is good for their dad's sensitive nose.

Down side: Stench of pee is strong within the box for crystals are not meant to be scooped yet on first use. The floor, though not dusty, is littered with tiny crystal balls that needed to be swept up carefully and diligently. Pee smell can gradually be detected in the room after 3 or 4 days of use.

Continue using, or go back to pine?

5 Comments:

  • Solution..... Adopt out the cats? =P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:02 PM, December 19, 2007  

  • How about, let's not think about that, ever?

    By Blogger Mini-Meow, at 11:39 PM, December 25, 2007  

  • How about, you adopt out daddy and keep the cats? (joking) (I think)

    If you have access to clumping litters, you might want to try a couple of them. They are a whole lot easier to clean, and you remove the clumped urine, rather than having it absorbed by the crystals.

    By Blogger The Lee County Clowder, at 3:30 AM, December 26, 2007  

  • Haha! Well, the dad knew what he was getting himself into when we first met, he jumped in anyway. :P

    I do like the nature of clumping litter and agree clumping types work best, but the chemical smell puts me off and it is not as environmentally friendly.

    We are now back to using pine. :)

    By Blogger Mini-Meow, at 7:51 PM, March 12, 2008  

  • Glad I came across your post. I was contemplating trying out the silica gel litter, but this option is out if it can't control the smell. My SO is very particular about litter smell and that's why I switched from pine pellets to clumping litter.

    Your cats are so pretty. :)

    By Blogger auntie p, at 2:12 PM, March 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home